St. Monica Church, also known as Alburquerque Church, is one of the first stone churches in the Philippines, initially constructed with light materials in 1842 and was enlarged and improved six years later. The present coral stone church began by Fr. Manuel Muro in 1885, continued in 1896 and finished from 1920s to 1930s.
The church's entrance is covered by a portico, going to the square bell tower. It also has many curved openings, while the convent which was established in 1879 was linked to the church by a pazadiso which forms a picturesque church complexes.
Accommodations in Tagbilaran:
- The Peacock Garden - Upper Laya, Baclayon, Bohol, Philippines 6301
- Amorita Resort - Easter A. Lim Drive, Brgy. Tawala, Barangay Tawala - Panglao Island, Bohol, Philippines 6340
- Panglao Blue Water Beach Resort - Panglao Island, Danao Beach - Panglao Island, Bohol, Philippines
- Amun Ini Beach Resort & Spa - Bas Dako, Candabong, Anda, Bohol, Philippines 6311
- Eskaya Beach Resort and Spa - Barangay Tawala, Panglao, Bolod Beach - Panglao Island, Bohol, Philippines
- Punta Cruz Diving Resort - Barangay Punta Cruz, Maribojoc, Philippines
- Nipa Hut Village Loboc - Valladolid, Loboc Near Maribojoc, Philippines
- Mabuhay Breeze Resort - National Highway 3778, Panglao Island Near Maribojoc, Philippines
- Hope Homes - Daorong, Danao, Panglao Island Near Maribojoc, Philippines
- Ocean Bay Beach Resort Cebu - Poblacion, Dalaguete, Dalaguete Near Maribojoc, Philippines
How to get there
The main entry point to Bohol is Tagbilaran City (Tagbilaran City Airport) which is only a one hour-and-15 minute flight from Manila and 20 minutes from Cebu.
The most convenient way to get to Bohol from the neighboring islands is by fast ferry. Fast ferries offer a high speed passenger service. These have a cruising speed of about 50 kilometers per hour.
Getting Around in Bohol
Once you arrive on Bohol, there are various ways to get around the island. You can find plenty of tricycles and some taxis waiting to bring you to most locations within Tagbilaran and neighbouring towns. If you need to go to one of the other towns on the island, you have a choice of jeepneys, busses, V-hires, or even habal-habal.