Bolinao Museum is located at Rizal Street across the Cape Bolinao High School in Bolinao, Pangasinan. The travel is about 363 kilometers from Metro Manila. One can take a bus from Manila to Bolinao. Travel time is about five hours.
The Museum is open during Monday and Saturday, 8:00 am-12:00pm and 1:00-5:00 pm. Everyone is welcome to the museum. The entrance fee is just 20 pesos.
- Traditional fishing implements: basket traps, fishing nets, wooden paddles, weights made of pottery and wood, bamboo floating lamps, spear guns, scoop, net.
- Agricultural technology: baskets for agricultural produce, winnowing trays, sickles, wooden mortar, pestles.
- Stone tools, fossils, pottery, iron tools, items from a 14th-15th century burial site.
- Ceramics from the Tang, Song and Ming eras as well as skeletal remains and jewelry from the 7th to 15th century.
- Painting and pictures featuring the historical culture of Bolinao as well as the whole Pangasinan.
- Dioramas showing different bird species found in Bolinao.
- A huge cage of different species of birds,chattering and flapping about, located outside the museum.
Highlights of the Museum
- Bugtungan – It is a manual wooden mechanism that is used to make maguey (Agave americana L.) twines into ropes. Maguey rope-making became an industry in Bolinao because of its sandy and limestone environment that is suitable for growing the maguey plant.
- Giant Clam – One of the largest clams in the world that is located here in the Philippines.
- Fossilized Billfish – It was discovered buried beneath the volcanic ash in Bolinao. It is a black marlin (Makaira indica) dated some two to ten million years. It is also the first fossilized billfish found in Asia and the first existing and living species of billfish that was positively identified in the fossil records.
About Bolinao Museum
- It is mainly an archaeological museum where a variety of artifacts and historical objects can be found. It is a provincial branch of the National Museum housing archaeological, ethnographical, geographical, and zoological compilations of relics found in Pangasinan.
- The museum was built after a significant archaeological excavation in the area. Through the help and support of the local government and donations, the museum was established and is now open to the people. The National Museum in Bolinao branch assumed management in 1976.
- The collections in the museums came from the different historical place of the Philippines aside from the archaeological resources gathered from their province.
A place is not just composed of natural attractions like beaches, mountains, and caves. There are also these infrastructures that house singnificant items connecting our past and present. An ideal vacation should not just be about having fun. There should also be a deep understanding of the place and a worthwhile learning experience that will benefit the present and future generations. That's why when going to Pangasinan, don't spend all of your time at the beach. Include the Bolinao Museum in your must-visits as well!