When we hear of Aklan Province, the first thing that comes to mind is Boracay Beach, a well-known attraction, and a visit to the beach is not complete if you miss seeing the Blessed Virgin Mary's grotto and take a picture of the beautiful image on top of the Boracay Rock in Station 1.
In 2010, the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary was removed. It has been said that the Willy's Resort owner ordered to abolish the grotto after converting to a new religion. Since the grotto in Boracay is very well-known, the incident about the missing image made a big noise and created a lot of issues, especially to the local people and visitors.
The loss of the grotto received so many comments and protests. The local government and Catholic Church made a move and investigated the issues. After the investigation, Willy's Rock Resort was revealed to be a property of a local government rented by the owner of the beach resort. It paved way for the restoration of the image. Now, Willy's Rock is declared as a government-owned property and was renamed as Boracay Rock.
Due to public demand and multiple objections, a new grotto and image of the Virgin Mary was installed.
A ceremony was held during the restoration of the grotto. Many people attended and became witnesses to the celebration.
Tourists can still visit and enjoy taking pictures with the famous landmark of Boracay.
- Shangri-la's Boracay Resort & Spa - Barangay Yapak, Barangay Yapak, Boracay / Caticlan, Philippines 5608
- Boracay Regency Beach Resort - Balabag, Boat Station 2, Boracay / Caticlan, Philippines
- Boracay Golden Phoenix Hotel - Boat Stn 3, Manoc Manoc, Boat Station 3, Boracay / Caticlan, Philippines
- Palm Breeze Villa - Sunrise Cove, Bolabog Beach, Bulabog Beach, Boracay / Caticlan, Philippines 5608
- Sea Wind Resort - Roberto&Gloria Tirol Park, Balabag,, Boat Station 1, Boracay / Caticlan, Philippines
Aklan is famous for Boracay, a resort island one kilometer north off the tip of Panay. It is known for its white sandy beaches and is considered as one of the most prominent destinations in the Philippines. Because of this, there is frequent air travel to the province's airports in Kalibo and Caticlan. The Kalibo International Airport is about ten minutes from the main plaza.
From Manila Airport, travel to Kalibo or Caticlan Airport will take more or less 45 minutes.
The following are the airports in Aklan:
- Kalibo International Airport
- Godofredo P. Ramos Airport (Caticlan-Boracay Airport)
Public transportation around the province and the city is by tricycle, taxi, multicab, and jeepney.