Aside from the enchanting Dakak Park and Beach Resort and the historic Rizal Shrine which are among the country’s favorite tourist destinations, Dapitan City can now boast of a world-class commercial center. Gloria de Dapitan, literally meaning “to bring glory to Dapitan,” is situated at Sunset Boulevard and one-of-its kind three-hectare commercial complex.
Features of Gloria de Dapitan:
1. Right at the very heart of Gloria de Dapitan is Gallera de Dapitan, which architect Fernando Mirasol designed. It has a deluxe cockpit which may also be used for live entertainment shows, boxing matches and other crowd-drawing competitions.
2. There is the fully-air-conditioned Exodus Bowling Center, which is the first of its kind in northwestern Mindanao, and could be at par with best bowling lanes in Metro Manila. It has eight lanes and setting the pins are computer-aided.
3. For those who enjoy boxing, aerobics and belly dancing, there are state-of-the-art fitness equipment at Powerhouse Gym, the biggest gym in the Zamboanga peninsula.
4. Gloria de Dapitan also has a computer game arcade, internet café, disco pub, resto bars, coffee shop and bakery, boutiques, shoe and souvenir shops, fruit gallery, flower shop, pharmacy, derma and spa center, money changer and foreign exchange and an automated teller machine. Directly in front of Gallera is a colorful and intricately designed fountain.
5. Not far from the fountain is Bistro Paborito where one could unwind by listening to music, live acoustics and keyboards. Bistro Paborito serves meals, cocktail drinks and beverages.
6. There is a meat shop for fresh meat, ranging from beef, pork (including native pig) and fish. Exotic products, imported wines and varied types of cheese are also available. Just within the vicinity is the Cold Front where fresh fruits, ice-cold shakes and juices are served. Beside it is the Nize Pizza where one could have a wide array of choices for toppings and even crusts. Then, at BB Edna Restaurant, one could enjoy native dishes form litson to seafood, barbecue to sutukil (sugba-tula-kilaw) and bas-oy (a mixture of several types of leafy and fruit vegetables) to satisfy one’s craving for distinctively Filipino flavors.
7. Yummy snacks are also available at Sweet Angels-pork siomai, puto cheese, suman, bibingka, fresh lumpia and others.
8. A place to get loose and enjoy will be BJ’s Loft Bar. Aside from dart boards and billiard tables, it has a videoke bar and once in a while, an acoustics night.
The entire commercial complex is fenced and further secured by guards who are on duty 24 hours. It has wide spaces for vehicle parking. Gloria de Dapitan is 14 kilometers from the urban center of Dipolog City. It is just 20 minutes from the Dakak Beach Resort and 10 minutes from Rizal Shrine.
How to get there
All sites in Zamboanga del Norte can be accessed via Dipolog City:
• By Air: From Manila, Cebu Pacific offers daily flights to Dipolog City, the capital of Zamboanga Del Norte. Travelling by air takes approximately an hour.
• By sea: There are ferries that offer transportation from Manila to Dipolog City. These ferries often take the Port of Pulauan in Dapitan City and from there one can take public transportations to get to neighboring cities. The Strong Republic Nautical Highway (RORO) could also be taken. It takes less than 48 hours to get to Dipolog City.
• By land: Buses of Rural Transit and the Evergood Trans Industries, Inc. travel to Dipolog city.
From Dipolog Airport, go to the Dipolog Bus terminal. Travel time is 15-20 minutes.
• Jardin de La Vina Hotel - 149 Governor Alvarez Avenue, Dipolog / Zamboanga, Philippines 7000
• GV Hotel Dipolog City - Quezon Avenue, Dipolog City, Zamboanga Del Sur, Dipolog / Zamboanga, Philippines
• Top Plaza Hotel - Echavez St.Corner Quezon Avenue, Dipolog / Zamboanga, Philippines 7100