Roxas is a very progressive city in the south, bustling with trade and activity, yet the people still value having nature around them and value protecting them. This can be seen in Hortus Botanicus, a plant sanctuary and conservation area where everyone is welcome, be it to indulge a green thumb or just to have some peace and quiet surrounded by lots of greenery.
Hortus Botanicus houses a collection of both introduced and endemic plants that are properly labeled and arranged according to families. The Hortus Botanicus or garden is set in Milibili, a barangay of Roxas City, which is around 3.12 kms. from the city proper and 950 meters away from the national road. The site is nestled along the gentle rolling hills of Milibili, a natural setting for the different plant collections. The existing body of water at the site can hold aquatic plant accessions and facilities for recreation. Its location is ideal for seminars, hands-on training programs, for retreats or simply a place to unwind. Plant hobbyists, on the other hand, can learn more here and avail of planting materials for their collection.
The gardens are not only a living museum of plants or a sanctuary and conservation area for the city’s plant species but also a learning center where livelihood activities like the setting-up of backyard gardens, training for garden services and other allied activities can be conducted.
Where to Stay
Here is the list of hotels and inns in Roxas City where guests can stay during their visit to the city:
- Roxas President’s Inn - Rizal Cor. Lopez Jaena St., Roxas City
- La Hacienda Hotel - Arnaldo Blcd., Roxas City
- Nesta’s Hill Top Hotel - Provincial Park, Roxas City
- Image Palace Hotel - Brgy Banica, Roxas City
- Casa Purita Hotel - Plaridel St., Roxas City
Where to Dine
Here is the list of some of the restaurants, bars and cafes of note within the City:
- Jo’s Inato Kamayan Sa Ilog Restaurant - Washington St. Roxas City
- Coco Veranda Bar & Restaurant - Lawis Baybay, Roxas City
- Pizza Junction - Rizal St, Roxas City
- Cake Eatcetera - Legaspi St. Roxas City
- Arashi Bar & Restaurant - Lawis Baybay Roxas City
- Acc Coffee & Crepes - Osmeña St. Roxas City
- Café 1927 - P.Gomez St.Roxas City
How to get there
From Manila, the Super Ferry or ships from Negros Navigation can take you to Roxas City in around eighteen hours. There is also a Roll on-Roll off (RORO) that passes by Roxas City straight from Cubao in Manila. Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines have flights to Roxas daily every morning, taking about 40-45 minutes. Jeepneys and tricycles are available for touring around the city. Jeepneys and tricycles are available for touring the city or the province.