Mount Amuyao is situated in Cordillera Range in Northern Luzon, with an elevation 2,689 meters. The mountain is very visible and easily spotted along the highway to Banaue. At the peak, you can witness the beauty of wildflowers, highland grass, wild orchids, and a display of other wild flora. Mount Amuyao has a tropical rainforest. It takes about 4-7 hours to climb to the summit with the help of stairways and trails. The views are spectacular – the high mountains of the Cordilleras can be seen in the west and the Sierra Madre is in the east.
According to the legend, the first Ifugao couple named Bugan and Wigan lived in this mountain during the 40-day flood in the province. They were the only survivors, so they were considered as the first ancestors of the Ifugaos.
Climbing is the best activity that can be done in the mountain. Mountaineers who have successfully scaled the mountain said that the trek is rated from fair to complex.
At first, the pathways from the village are cemented and smoothed until you reach the ricefields that will give you a breathtaking view of the village. These ricefields will take you to the hiking trail of Mount Amuyao. The pathways are improved by the addition of wooden steps. There is a spring along the way where you can get fresh water. There's also a rest area halfway up the climb.
At the end of the day, after a very challenging trek to the mountain, you will spot the most beautiful parts of the province. The amazing view will serve as the reward for your tiring climb.
Mount Amuyao can be found between Sitio Macalana, Barlig, Mt. Province and Batad, Ifugao.
- Plan ahead of time.
- Before your trek, inform the management of the mountain.
- Before hiking, make sure that you've already eaten.
- Reduce the bag weight. Bring only important things that are helpful in the activity. If you don’t need it, then don't bring it.
- Wear comfortable and proper attire for hiking. Don’t forget to bring extra clothes.
- If possible, hike with a companion or local tour guide who has knowledge about the area.
- Don’t forget to bring water and lite food.
- Bring a first aid kit, in case of emergency.
- Have a map of the area to avoid being lost.
- Please be informed about the rules and regulations on the site.
- Bring any kind of sun protection.