Juan Luna – An Ilocano Filipino painter, sculptor, and political activist of the Philippine Revolution during the late 19th century. He became one of the first recognized Philippine artists.
The town of Badoc is the hometown of Juan Luna, a great person who contributed a lot to the history of the Philippines. A visit to this historical place is a pleasure – a memory which will bring you back to the olden times.
Juan Luna Shrine: Juan Luna Shrine is a two-storey brick house. It was the birthplace of Juan Luna. It is now converted into a repository for Juan Luna's memorabilia and a few paintings preserved to commemorate the legacy of the illustrious painter. His most famous painting is the Spoliarium which won the gold medal in the Madrid Exposition in 1884. The masterpiece is now under the custody of the National Museum in Manila.
A glimpse to the Spoliarium: The award winning masterpiece, the Spoliarium, is a huge canvas depicting dying gladiators. The gigantic size of Luna's masterpiece of oil on poplar gives pride to Filipinos. Through the Spoliarium, the Filipino genius had been recognized worldwide since it was able to compete and triumph in the international scene. This achievement proved to the world that "indios" could, despite their supposed barbarian race, paint better than the Spaniards.
The exploration of the different parts of the house will bring you back to its historic past, a bittersweet recollection of the struggles and victories of the whole Filipino race. :)
Great Trips to Juan Luna Shrine!
The ancestral house has no entrance fee but the management accepts donations. If you are planning to visit the place, there are lots of air-conditioned buses that ply the Manila–Laoag City route. The bus will travel through Badoc, so you can get off there. The trip will take about eight hours.
Accommodations in Laoag are also available. There are lots of inns and hotels throughout the town offering comfortable rooms and cottages at a reasonable price.
• Fort Ilocandia Resort Hotel - Brgy. 37 Calayab, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Pamulinawen Hotel - National Highway, Brgy. 22, 2901 San Nicholas, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Plaza Del Norte Hotel and Convention Center- 15 Suba, Paoay, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Grand Octagon Resort - Airport Ave., Brgy.50, Butong, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Java Hotel - 55B Salet Gen. Segundo Avenue, Laoag City, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Mira de Polaris Hotel - Ventura St., Brgy. San Francisco,San Nicolas, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines