The Parish of St. Isidore the Worker in Navalas, Buenavista referred to simply as Navalas Church, is one of the most significant religious and historical sites in the province of Guimaras as this Spanish era structure offers a glimpse into distant past marked by religious devotion.
Built in 1880-1885, Navalas Church is the oldest existing Roman Catholic church in the province of Guimaras that has survived the ravages of time. A bigger bell than the present one, said to be more than four feet tall, formerly was hung at the belfry but was carted away and dumped into the sea near Isla del Siete Pecados by Muslim raiders. Only the facade remains untouched, but the ceiling and structure inside the church was already renovated.
Where to Stay
Here is a list of hotels and inns for your stay in the province:
- Shirven Hotel - San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
- Pine Haven Hotel - Islander Village, San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
- Small Wings Pension Inn - San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
- Miewa Pension House - Mclain, Buenavista, Guimaras
- OLP-Trappist Monastery Guest House - San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
- Guisi Heritage Cottage - Dolores, Nueva Valencia, Guimaras
Where to Dine
Here is a list of some of the restaurants, bars and cafes located in the city:
- NVDS Refreshment/ Tita Nels Refreshment - Mclain, Buenavista, Guimaras
- Gladys Refreshment (Carinderia & Videoke) - Rizal, Jordan
- Paul and Michelle Kitchenette - Rizal, Jordan
- Toms Place Bar and Refreshment - Hoskyn, Jordan
- Dans Batchoy - Rizal & San Miguel, Jordan
Iloilo City is the gateway to Guimaras. Guimaras can be reached by air or boat from Manila via Iloilo City and by pumpboat in Pulupandan, Negros Occidental. The island province is 20-30 minutes by motorboat or ferry boat from Parola, Ortiz, Muelle Loney or Lapuz wharves in Iloilo City. Direct travel to Guimaras is possible by light planes, which can land at the Guimaras Feeder Airport.
Jeepney and tricycles are also available as a mode of transportation when touring the province from one town to another.
Please check the Guimaras official website for more information about the transportation schedules and locations.