In 1949, a permanent grandstand, a replica of the Independence Grandstand, was completed along Manila Bay situated near Rizal Park. It is a place where President Elpidio Quirino was sworn in after winning the presidential election. Since then, newly-elected Presidents of the Philippines traditionally take their oath of office and deliver their inaugural address to the nation in the grandstand, which was later renamed after President Quirino. Joseph Estrada and Benigno"Noynoy" Aquino III are some of the presidents who took their oath at Quirino Granstand.
Many important political, cultural and religious events in the post war era have been held here. Today, it is still a well-known area for many significant and huge events. It is the place where groups of many people gather for special events and occasions. It is a wide open area that can accommodate thousands of people.
Here is the list of hotels that can be found in Manila that offer good service and accommodation.
- Bayview Park Hotel - Ermita, Manila
- Centara Hotel Manila - Malate, Manila
- Century Park Hotel - Malate, Manila
- Diamond Hotel Manila - Malate, Manila
- G Hotel Manila by Waterfront - Malate, Manila
- Hotel H20 Manila - Rizal Park, Manila
- Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila - Ermita, Manila
- Manila Hotel - Rizal Park, Manila
- Pan Pacific Manila - Malate, Manila
- Ramada Manila Central - Binondo, Manila
- The Bayleaf Intramuros - Intramuros, Manila
- Waterfront Manila Pavilion - Ermita, Manila
Getting around Manila City
Manila is the capital of the Philippines. Tourists can go around Manila through many options. Buses, FXs, jeepneys, taxis, tricycles, and pedicabs are available as a mode of transportations around the city. The city is also serviced by the Manila Light Rail Transit System, popularly known as LRT, as distinct from the MRT in other parts of Metro Manila.
Calesas are still used in the streets of Binondo and Intramuros, but mostly for tourists.
The Port of Manila, located in the vicinity of Manila Bay, is the chief seaport of the Philippines. The city is also served by the Pasig River Ferry Service which runs on the Pasig River.
The city is served by the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and Diosdado Macapagal International Airport.