The use of solar heat for evaporating sea water and crystallizing salt from the concentrated brine has been explored and developed by the coastal dwellers of Manila Bay. Parañaque, being one of the first salt-producing town of Rizal, is a "natural" for this industry. The Filipino and Chinese methods both have undergone modification.
Salt beds permit Paraqueños to go back in time when saltmaking was a chief industry and a source of pride. Because of rapid urbanization, most of the agricultural lands have been converted to residential, commercial and industrial estates. Although only few tracts of salt beds remain today, they still continue to provide livelihood, contribute to the economy and attract crowds of locals and tourists at summertime.
Only one salt bed remains in Parañaque today located at Bgy. Sto. Niño and is privately owned by the family of the late Maria Pascual. Every summer, production of salt averages to about 1,000 sacks per month and sold at P100 per sack depending on the weather. During the rainy season, the place is utilized as a fishpond where they harvest fish, shrimps and shell fishes.
List of accommodations in Parañaque
- 188 Residence Inn - Doña Soledad Avenue, Better Living Subdivision, Don Bosco
- Carlston Hotel - Airport Road, Baclaran
- Casa Joaquin Bed and Breakfast - Caliraya Drive, Marian Lakeview Park, San Martin de Porres
- Chateau Elysee - Doña Soledad Avenue Extension, Bicutan
- Colors Hotel - Riverwiew Compound, Quirino Avenue, Tambo
- El Grande Hometel Inn - El Grande Avenue, BF Homes
- Happy Coconuts Hostel - El Grande Avenue, BF Homes
- Isabelle Garden Hotel and Suites - E. Rodriguez Avenue, Moonwalk
- Manila Airport Hotel - PAL Drive, Airplane Village, NAIA Terminal I Complex, Vitalez
- Nichols Airport Hotel - Quirino Avenue, Baclaran (near Tambo)
- Oyster Plaza Hotel - Ninoy Aquino Avenue corner Kabihasnan Road, Sucat
- Rodello's Bed and Breakfast - Armstrong Avenue (Moonwalk Access Road), Moonwalk Village Phase I, Moonwalk
- Savannah Resort Hotel - El Grande Avenue, BF Homes
- Southland Apartelle Hotel - A. Aguirre Avenue corner Jerusalem Street, BF Homes
- Villa Carolina Townhouse Hotel - Roxas Boulevard corner Bayview Drive, Tambo
Parañaque is served by the LRT-1 (via Baclaran Station, which is located in Pasay City) and the PNR (via Bicutan station).
Parañaque is also the location of one of Ninoy Aquino International Airport's terminal. This terminal is Terminal 1 located along Ninoy Aquino Avenue. The flights of major international airlines are located in this terminal.
Parañaque is accessed by these following major roads:
- South Luzon Expressway
- Coastal Road
- Metro Manila Skyway
- Dr. Arcadio Santos Avenue (Sucat Road)
- Carlos P. Garcia Avenue (C-5 South Extension)
- C-6 Road
Busses, jeepneys, taxis and tricycles are available as a mode of transportation inside and outside the Parañaque.