The Mactan-Cebu International Airport is a major international airport in the Visayas region of the Philippines located in Lapu-Lapu City, Mactan Island, Metro Cebu. It is the country's second primary gateway that is managed by the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority.
The airport property covers an area of 797 hectares and has a single 3,300 meter runway that is complemented by a full-length taxiway. The terminal building has a capacity of handling 4.5 million passengers annually on two wings, the domestic wing and the international wing.
Mactan-Cebu International Airport is a major trade center in the south for both domestic and international traffic. Its traffic is continually increasing and is now serving 602 commercial flights weekly transporting 10,223 passengers daily. About 54% of the flight operations at Mactan-Cebu International Airport are commercial carriers while the remaining 46% are military aircraft and general aviation operations.
Over the last 15 years, Mactan-Cebu International Airport’s passenger traffic has grown at an annual average of 21% for International while the domestic grew at an annual average of 5%. Mactan-Cebu International Airport is currently served by 13 passenger airlines and 5 cargo airlines.
Mactan-Cebu International Airport is one of the major cargo airports in the Philippines. Air cargo volume in 2007 is 53,472,924 kg. International cargo volume increased at an average growth rate of 47% annually while the domestic cargo grew 4% annually.
Plans for Expansion
Plans have been drawn for the expansion of the existing terminal building and the construction of two more boarding bridges or jetways to complement the existing four. A new cargo terminal has also been proposed.
On August 20, 2008, the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) announced that about P300 million will be spent for the terminal expansion program to address the increasing volume of passenger traffic. MCIAA former general manager Danilo Augusto Francia said the program also includes the establishment of a second passenger terminal in the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.
Later in 2009, former general manager Francia announced for the public bidding for the construction of the new generation terminal to service only international flight to and from Cebu, Philippines. Two out of the only seven 5-star airlines in the world operate flights from the airport, namely: Cathay Pacific and Asiana Airlines.
In 2010, the newly elected Philippine President, Benigno Aquino III, has selected Nigel Paul Villarete as the new General Manager of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport(MCIA) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of MCIAA. Upon his assumption on October 26, 2010, MCIAA General Manager Villarete has prioritized the completion of the terminal expansion and the completion of the unfinished administration building. In addition, the Feasibility Study for the New MCIA International Terminal will be completed in 2011, and has been included in President Benigno Aquino III's List of Priority Projects for Public-Private Partnership (PPP) implementation. The feasibility study is being financed by the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA).
In addition, MCIAA General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete also proposes to establish a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line to transport airport passengers to and from MCIAA from different parts of Cebu. This will complement and may be integrated into the proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) System being planned in Cebu City.
The airport opened in the mid-1960s. It was built to replace the Lahug Airport, which could no longer be expanded due to safety and physical problems. The airport was then expanded in its later years to become the current Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA). The airport is currently the second busiest in the country after Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport and serves as the country's primary alternative gateway.
The airport is currently in the process of building an administrative building. The construction is currently stalled due to irregularities in the deal but it is expected to continue soon. The idea behind the building is to free up space in the airport terminal so that the airport can expand passenger facilities without necessarily expanding the size of the airport. Currently, all airport offices are located inside the Main Terminal.
A VIP Lounge for the ASEAN Summit held in Cebu in 2007. The airport lounge now serves as the primary welcome area for VIPs visiting Cebu.