St. William's Cathedral in Laoag City is famous for its Sinking Bell Tower. It is one of the things that will capture the attention of the tourists upon entering the city.
The 45-meter bell tower was built by the Augustinians in 1612 and believed to be the tallest bell tower in the Philippines. It is actually the bell tower of St. Williams Cathedral, but unfortunately, it is 85 meters away from the church. This is the farthest tower I’ve known from its church. :)
The bell tower is one of the landmarks of Spanish colony in the Philippines. The tower has earned its “sinking” reputation because it is so heavy and it was built on sandy foundations that it has been consistently sinking into the ground. One story said that when the bell tower was newly built, a person on horseback could enter the tower, but today a person with normal height has to bend first just to pass the entrance. Quite interesting :) But despite of this, the bell tower still continues its purpose of ringing the bell to call the Catholic brethren to mass.
Laoag is full of history! A travel to one of its historical landmarks is indeed a must-do!
A Travel to Laoag
• By Land: Partas, GV Florida Transport, Dominion Bus Lines, Philippine Rabbit and Fariñas Transit have regular trips that will take you directly to Laoag City. Travel Time: From Manila to Laoag City, 10-12 hours. So, I advise you to have a night trip for this.
• By Plane. Take a direct flight from Manila to Laoag via Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines. Travel Time: From Manila to Laoag City is about an hour. Flights are usually at night, so better make the necessary adjustments on your itinerary.
Accommodations in Laoag are also available. There are lots of inns and hotels throughout the town offering comfortable rooms and cottages at a reasonable price.
• Fort Ilocandia Resort Hotel - Brgy. 37 Calayab, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Pamulinawen Hotel - National Highway, Brgy. 22, 2901 San Nicholas, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Plaza Del Norte Hotel and Convention Center- 15 Suba, Paoay, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Grand Octagon Resort - Airport Ave., Brgy.50, Butong, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Java Hotel - 55B Salet Gen. Segundo Avenue, Laoag City, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines