White Island is an uninhabited white sandbar located about 1.4 kilometers (0.87 mi) off the northern shore of Mambajao in the volcanic island of Camiguin in the Philippines. The island is generally horseshoe shaped, although the tides constantly resize and reshape its exact form. There are no trees or shelter of any kind, and it is composed solely of white sand.
The island offers a panoramic view of Mt. Hibok-Hibok and Old Volcano as its backdrop. The picturesque island is ideal for swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling and viewing the sunrise and sunset over Camiguin.
White Island attracts thousands of tourists every year. The island can be accessed from Brgy. Agoho or Brgy. Yumbing in Mambajao about 4 to 6 kilometres (2.5 to 3.7 mi) west of the poblacion or town center. Small boats can be hired from any of the beachfront resorts that face the island.
Where to Stay
Here is the list of some of the accommodations that can be found near the island.
- Paras Beach Resort - Rocky Village, Yumbing, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Bahay Bakasyunan Sa Camiguin Resort - Balbagon, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Sabacajan Beach and Cottages - Yumbing, Mambajao, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Camiguin Highland Resort - Lakas, Soro-soro, Mambajao,, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Camiguin Roof Top Hotel - Corner Neri-Rizal Street, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Algen's Dive Resort - Catohugan, Mahinog, Camiguin
- Secret Cove Beach Resort - Yumbing, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Agohay Villa Forte - Agoho, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
- Catarman Coral Dive Resort - Punta Puti, Poblacion, Catarman, Camiguin
- Villa Paraiso Resort & Apartelle - J.P. Rizal St., Mambajao, Mambajao (Camiguin), Camiguin
Getting to Camiguin
Camiguin is accessible by both air and water from Visayas or Mindanao. Camiguin is only 35 minutes by air from Mactan, Cebu International Airport, which flight schedule - Cebu-Camiguin vice-versa, every Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Another way from Cebu to Camiguin is via a ferry that travels once a week and takes approximately 12 hours.
There are daily flights from Manila to Cagayan De Oro City's Lumbia Airport. From the airport, a jeepney ride will take to Agora Bus Terminal, where there is a bus going to Balingoan, Misamis Oriental, a coastal town that serves as an entry point to Camiguin. It takes an hour to cross the port of Benoni, or 45 minutes to cross towards the port of Guinsiliban. From Cagayan De Oro, there is also a daily catamaran that plies the CDO-Camiguin route. The same ferry also travels daily from Camiguin to Tagblaran, Bohol and vise versa.
Aside from the above-mentioned means of reaching Camiguin, a ferry also caters the Bohol to Camiguin and vice-versa route daily, specifically 8:00 o'clock in the morning from Camiguin and 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon from Bohol. The route docks at Balbagon Wharf and Jagna, Bohol respectively.
Getting Around the Island
There are many forms of public and private transportation available in the island. One only has to inform your host about your need. Vans, jeepneys, multicabs (small jeepneys), tricycles (motorellas), and motorcycles are the most common forms of transport.
Getting to White Island and Mantigue island is also made very convenient with the availability of several motorized boats. One can arrange for a private charter or can go directly to pre-identified coastal areas where these boats gather.