Must-see Destinations in Oriental Mindoro
Oriental Mindoro is touted as one of the country's emerging eco-tourism destinations. The province has long been known for its many spectacular attractions that have offered its visitors moments of adventure and leisure they won't soon forget. Here are some of the natural wonders and artistic attractions of the province:
- Hidden Paradise consists of a natural spring with a swimming pool and picnic cottages. The attraction is located in Baco and can be reached within 45 minutes by taking a jeepney bound for the Calapan market.
Alibatan Island or "Target Island"
- The island measures five hectares and is noted for its white sand. The place serves as a breeding place of seagulls and turtles. Corals and oysters can be found all around the area. The island is also called "Target Island" because Americans who stayed in San Jose used this place for bombing practices in 1946. The island is located in Baco and can be reached in an hour through a motorized banca from the market square bound for Alibatan Island.
- Located off the coast of Mansalay, Buyayao Island is a rocky island, except for the area facing Buyayao Peninsula. Big snakes called "sobre kama" are found in the mountains. The water around the island is suited for deep-sea fishing. The island can be reached in 30 minutes by motorized banca from Mansalay market.
- Towering 8,488 feet above sea level, Mt. Halcon is one of the country's highest peaks. It is a favorite destination for nature tripping and mountain climbing. Mt. Halcon is located in Baco and is accessible in two hours by taking a jeepney to Baco, the jump-off point.
- Suqui Beach is a public beach with cottages and other facilities. The beach is a favorite place for the local people especially during the summer. Located in Suqui, Calapan, the beach can be reached in 15 minutes by taking a tricycle from the town proper.
- Banilad Beach is a good spot for picnicking and swimming especially during the summer. It is located in Pili, Pinamalayan and can be reached by taking a jeepney to the port of Barangay Wawa, then an hour’s ride by motorized banca to the beach.
- Bongol Beach is a secluded beach with a two-kilometer white sand beach. The beach is located in Bongol, Pinamalayan and can be reached in two hours by boarding a Bongol-bound jeepney from the town proper of Pinamalayan and then a tricycle to the beach area.
- The 423-foot Tamaraw Falls is situated alongside the road and a series of asymmetrical falls, leading to the grand one, dropping to a frothy waterbed below. The cascading waterfall is a great attraction to passers-by. The falls is located in Barangay Villaflor, Puerto Galera and can be reached in two hours by taking a jeepney bound for Barangay Villaflor from Puerto Galera, or Calapan.
La Laguna Beach
- La Laguna Beach is an ideal place for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving. There are a number of resorts that offer accommodation and other travel and aqua sports facilities to both domestic and international tourists. The beach is located in La Laguna, Puerto Galera, and can be reached in 30 minutes from the town proper of Puerto Galera by taking a jeepney bound for La Laguna.
Small La Laguna Beach
- Contrary to its name, Small La Laguna is bigger than La Laguna and has more facilities. Small La Laguna has coral reefs, and its water is ideal for snorkeling and scuba diving. There is diving equipment for rent at nearby dive shops. Located beside Sabang Beach, it can be reached in 20 minutes from the pier by taking a jeepney bound for Sabang.
- Sabang Beach is ideal for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving. A cluster of nightspots abound in this area make it popular for evening socials. Cottages with entertainment facilities stand close to each other. Low-budget accommodations are available. Located east of Puerto Galera, the beach can be reached in 15 minutes from the Puerto Galera pier by taking a jeepney or an outrigger banca.
- Talipanan Beach is not as busy as the other beaches in Puerto Galera. Thus, it is an ideal site for private swimming. Located in Puerto Galera, it can be reached in 40 minutes by taking a jeepney or an outrigger boat from the town pier.
White Sand Beach
- The white sandy strips of this white sand beach offers excellent opportunities for swimming. Resorts in this area provide entertainment facilities for tourists' greater amusement and leisure. Located in Barangay San Isidro, Puerto Galera, the beach is accessible in 30 minutes from the town proper by a jeepney or a boat.
Punta Guarda Beach
- Punta Guarda Beach is far from the busy areas of Puerto Galera; thus, it is ideal for those who seek privacy and retreat. Located in Puerto Galera, the beach and can be reached by taking a 10 minutes' jeepney ride from the town proper.
- Melco Beach is a beige-colored sandy beach with cottages for rent. Located in Roxas, it and can be reached in 10 minutes by a banca from the pier.
- Talon Falls is located in the town of Pola in Oriental Mindoro particularly in Brgy. Calima. The water that cascades from the mountain to the catchbasin is ideal for swimming. The area is lush with green vegetation.
Venture to Oriental Mindoro
Oriental Mindoro can be reached through land and sea transport. From Manila, take the Batangas-Laguna-Tayabas (BLTB), Tritran, and other Batangas-bound buses to the Batangas City pier. From there, take the super ferry boats bound for Calapan, which has several trips per day, or those bound for Puerto Galera. A roll-on-roll-off (RO-RO) ferry is convenient for those wishing to take their private vehicles.
In Mindoro Oriental, a number of jeepneys ply the capital from the neighboring towns and to the interior.
Closest Accommodations found in Puerto Galera
• Utopia Resort & Spa - Palangan, Palangan, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines 5203
• Mermaid Resort - Sabang Beach Puerto Galera, Sabang, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines 5203
• The Manor at Puerto Galera - Brgy Sto Nino, Sto. Nino, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines
• Waimea Luxury Houses - El Galleon Dive Resort Annex - Small La Laguna Beach, Sabang, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines
• El Galleon Dive Resort with Asia Divers - Small La Laguna Beach, Sabang, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines
• Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort - Aninuan, Puerto Galera, Aninuan, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines
• Marco Vincent Dive Resort - Oriental Mindoro, White Beach, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines 5203
• Redsun Dive Resort - Small Lalaguna, Sabang, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines
• Sabang Oasis Resort - Sabang Beach Central, Oriental Mindoro, Sabang, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines 5203
• Dolphinbay Beachfront & Dive Resort - Barangay Palangan, Puerto Galera, Palangan, Puerto Galera / Mindoro, Philippines 5203