Magdalena Municipal Hall
Magdalena is a 5th class municipality in the province of Laguna. It was formerly a barrio of Majayjay, Laguna. A petition from the residents of the barrio for the creation of a new town was presented on September 15, 1819. It was proclaimed a new town by Governor General Don Mariano Fernández de Folgueras on January 18, 1820, and was originally named "Magdalena de Ambling". The name was derived from its patron saint Maria Magdalena and the barrio of Ambling where it was established. The first Teniente Alcalde or Capitan (the highest political authority in a town during the Spanish colonial period) was Don Mauricio San Mateo.
They first established a makeshift school in 1820, which was the very first requirement for it to be a town. The municipal hall was also constructed. A small chapel was also constructed and it gave way to the construction of a church in 1829. The church was made of stones and bricks, and donations were solicited from the residents. The construction was finished in 1861. The construction of the concrete town hall and the church convent started in 1871, and was finished in 1884.
- Kawayan Festival
Magdalena recently held its first Kawayan Festival to mark the town's 185th Foundation Day. The colorful festival celebrates the native bamboo and its role in the culture and livelihood of the town and to promote bamboo-based industries.
Liga ng mga Barangay national president James Marty Lim was the special guest of the festival, and together with Magdalena town officials led by Mayor Nieva Reodica, congratulated the Magdaleños for their initiatives to promote the local bamboo industry.
Magdalena is the home of St. Mary Magdalene Church. This church was constructed in 1851-1871, and made of stones and bricks with a sandstone facade. The church is located at the town center or plaza, just across the municipal town hall of Magdalena. In February 1898, after being wounded in a battle with the Spaniards at the Maimpis River, Philippine revolutionary hero Emilio Jacinto sought refuge in this church. His bloodstains are found on the floor of the church.
- Bahay Laguna
Bahay Laguna is a museum in Barangay Bungkol, Magdalena, that houses the memorabilia of Governor Felicisimo T. San Luis, who served as governor of Laguna for 33 years. During his time, he was known as the "Living Legend of Laguna." Aside from the memorabilia of the late governor, Bahay Laguna showcases the specialty crafts and signature products of Laguna towns, such as woodcarving of Paete and bottled preserved fruits of Alaminos.
The construction of Bahay Laguna was finished in December 1995. The Dr. Floro Brosas Foundation donated a piece of its land for this repository.
The glass enclosure contained the bloodstained bolo and hat of General Emilio Jacinto, a young hero of the revolution who is honored for his valor during fight between Spanish forces and the Katipuneros in the Battle of Maimpis. Wounded, he sought refuge in the church and was later brought to Sta. Cruz for treatment. The bloodstained bolo and hat are found inside this church.
- El Cielito Inn Sta Rosa
Location : Sta Rosa Tagaytay Road, Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines
- Paseo Premiere Hotel
Location : Sta. Rosa Business Park, Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines
- The Green Glass Boutique Hotel
Location : Crossing Calamba City, Calamba, Laguna, Philippines
- Tahanan Ni Aling Meding Hotel
Location : Dagatan Boulevard, Sampaloc Lake, San Pablo, Laguna, Philippines
- Rockpoint Hotspring Resort Hotel & Spa
Location : Maria Makiling Hot Springs Village, Purok Uno, Brgy Pansol Calamba City, Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines 4017
How to get here
Here is the list of terminals where you can spot buses that have trips going to Laguna.
- Kamias, Quezon City (near Cubao)
- Buendia corner on Taft Ave., Manila
You can ride a jeep or bus for traveling around the province.