Experience the City of Pasig
Panoramic View of Pasig City
The city of Pasig is one of the city-municipalities of Metro Manila in the Philippines and was the former capital of the province of Rizal prior to the formation of this grouping of cities designated as the National Capital Region. Located along the eastern border of Metro Manila, Pasig is bordered on the west by Quezon City and Mandaluyong City; to the north by Marikina City; to the south by Makati City, Pateros, and Taguig City; and to the east by Antipolo City, the municipality of Cainta and Taytay in the province of Rizal.
Pasig is primarily residential and industrial but has been becoming increasingly commercial in recent years. Pasig is one of the three municipalities appointed by the diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the Philippines (as the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pasig), making the Pasig Cathedral (formerly The Immaculate Conception Cathedral) the landmark coincide to its township in 1573.
The name Pasig is believed to come from the Sanskrit word “passis” or sand which refers to the community on the sandy river bank. Some historians trace the name of Pasig to the Tagalog word "mabagsik" which means violent action which can describe the river which currents brought logs from Montalban to Manila
It was also called “mapaksik” by Chinese in Binondo, Manila. “Mapaksik” later became "Pasik" and then "Pasig". It may also have come from "pasigan" which means riverbank.
According to Jose Villa Panganiban, former director of The Institute of National Language, "Pasig" is old Sanskrit meaning “river flowing from one body of water to another,” which briefly describes the river because the river flows from Laguna de Bay to Manila Bay.
On June 11, 1901 the province of Rizal was created through Act No. 137 of the Philippine Commission. Pasig was incorporated into the province of Rizal, and was designated as the capital of the new province.
In 1975, Pasig was carved out of Rizal province and became part of Metro Manila when the Metro Manila Commission (pre-cursor of Metro Manila Authority and later Metropolitan Manila Development Authority) was created by Pres. Ferdinand Marcos through Presidential Decree 824.
In July 1994, Pasig was converted into a highly urbanized city through Republic Act 7829. And in December 1994, President Fidel V. Ramos signed it into law, which was ratified through a plebiscite on January 21, 1995.
On September 26, 2009, the city was one of the areas struck by high floods created by Typhoon Ondoy. Most notable was along Ortigas Avenue and the east side of the Manggahan Floodway. It is the most destructive flood in Philippine history. Pasig is accessed by the Pasig River, wherein the waters of Marikina River channeled and the Manggahan Floodway routed to Laguna de Bay.
Famous Tourist Attractions
Pasig City Hall
- This modern five-story seat of local governance is located within the heart of the city in barangay San Nicolas. The building consists of approximately 9,000m of floor space. It was completely renovated in 1999 and is continuously being altered and expanded to suit the needs of the community.
- The city government transferred to its present site in 1968.
- It was originally a two-story structure with 1,200 m of floor area. Previously, the municipal hall was located at Plaza Rizal along P. Burgos Street.
Mutya ng Pasig Public Market
- This market was named the largest single public market in the whole country. The three-story public market was originally constructed in 1974 on a 5-hectare lot site adjacent to the city hall complex. It underwent renovations and repairs as well as expansion in the early 90s.
- At its present size, the market consists of a total land area of 40,698 m, a total building area of 19,475 m, and with about 2,485 fixed stalls (data as of 1995). The third floor of the building is devoted to weekly tiangge held every Saturday. A four-story parking building with a tricycle terminal on the ground floor and commercial spaces for lease complements the public market.
- Adjacent to Plaza Rizal is Plaza Bonifacio or the Plazuela. The plaza houses the lone Bonifacio sculpture astride a horse. Gat Andres Bonifacio, the Supremo of the Katipunan, whose mortal remains was lost through time, lies unburied somewhere. He has not been accorded the proper state honors due him for his contribution to history. Thus the City Government of Pasig took the responsibility of building a cenotaph to honor the Supremo.
- The Concepcion mansion is located at the Plaza Rizal in barangay San Jose. It was built in 1937 by Don Fortunato Concepcion and was acquired by the City of Pasig in 1980. Previously, it housed the Pasig Library and Museum. In 2001, the building was renovated and was fully devoted to museum - housing various historical artifacts.
Immaculate Conception Parish (ICP) Church
- This is the first Marian Parish in the Philippines. The Augustinian Missionaries founded it in 1572. The present stone church of the ICP was built between the years 1722 to 1762.
- The original patroness of the church was the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1573) whose feast falls on July 2. The title of Immaculate Conception was only recognized on 25 April 1587.
- Formerly known as Plaza dela Paz is located in front of the ICP Church. Built in memory of Dr. Jose Rizal, it serves as a place for relaxation and a venue for cultural activities.
Rizal High School
- The Rizal Provincial Government founded Rizal High School (RHS) in October 1902. It was twice sited by the Guinness Book of World as the largest secondary school in terms of student population in 1992 and 1993 when its student population stood at 16,419 and 16,535 respectively.
- After the creation of Metropolitan Manila in 1977, the administration and operation of RHS was turned over to the Department of Education, Culture and Sports with assistance and support from the local government.
Bahay na Tisa
- This is the oldest house in Pasig located in barangay San Jose built by Don Cecilio Tech y Cabrera in the early 1850s. The direct descendants of Don Cecilio are still in residence.
- Every year, on the Sunday after Easter (Domingo in Albis) the sick people of the town gather inside the spacious house to receive the Holy Communion and the benediction of the Parish Priest.
Eugenio Lopez Foundation, Inc.
- The Lopez Memorial Museum and Library was founded on February 13, 1960 by Don Eugenio Lopez, Sr. in honor of his parents, Benito Lopez and Presentacion Hofilena. First established in Pasay City, the museum and library moved to the Benpress Building in 1986 and continues to serve its various publics. Among its offerings are a fine art collection with works by Filipino artists from the 19th century to the contemporary period, and an extensive Filipiniana collection. From works of 19th century Filipino masters Juan Luna and Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo to works of National Artists for the Visual Arts to that of contemporary artists, the Lopez Memorial Museum creates exhibition that explore different aspects of Philippine art, culture and history.
Doña Geronima's Cave
- The Doña Geronima's Cave is found in barangay Pineda. One legend speaks that a woman hermit, Geronima, lived there. Another says, the cave is an arch which lead to three smaller arches. These arches served as doors to a stairway leading up the mountain where Doña Geronima's mansion can be found. To old folks, the existence of the cave is a mystery and up to present this cryptic cave continues to intrigues observant commuters who pass by the locale.
Tangahalang Pasigueño (Pasig City Hall Complex, Pasig City)
- Formerly the Pasig City Convention Center designed to accommodate seminars, conventions and cultural programs. It is considered to be Pasig’s new seat of culture and the arts. It has function rooms that can house meetings and conferences of private and public entities. Left of the main lobby is Halamanan ni Mutya – an al fresco space with rustic cabanas and pebbled pathways. At the right wing is Pista ng Bayan – a banquet hall complete with a kitchen and exquisite dining furniture. At the center is Asemblea Magna. A grand theater capable of seating 1,300 people and well-furnished to take their breaths away with state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment.
Rizal Provincial Capitol
- Prior to the creation of Metropolitan Manila thru PD 824, Pasig was the capital of Rizal Province and the Rizal Provincial Capitol was the seat of governance. The Capitol building was constructed in 1931 on a ten-hectare lot donated by Ortigas and Company, located along Shaw Boulevard in Barangay Oranbo.
- This Central Park is an eight-hectare land located at barangay Maybunga used for sports, leisure and educational activities. It includes a water park equipped with cabanas, cottages, kiosks and other resort facilities. In addition to this, there are camping grounds, sports oval, fitness gymnasium, multipurpose center and a forest reserve.
- Recently facilities such as a butterfly pavilion, mini zoo, aviary, senior citizen's park, playground and an amphitheater were constructed at the rainforest park.
Ortigas Center (Pasig-Mandaluyong)
- It is the second most important commercial and business district (after Makati) in Metro Manila, Philippines. With an area of at least 100 hectares, the district is located at the boundary of Pasig City, Mandaluyong City, and Quezon City. It is governed by Ortigas Center Association, Inc. Home to many shopping malls, skyscrapers, and nightlife bars and restaurants, Ortigas Center is surrounded by the streets of EDSA to the west, Ortigas Avenue to the north, Meralco Avenue to the east, and Shaw Boulevard to the south.
- Tiendesitas ("a collection of little stores") is a shopping complex located along the C-5 road in Manila. It began its operations on September 26, 2005 and was developed by Ortigas & Co. Limited Partnership (OCLP). It rivals the highly successful and world-renowned Chatuchak Market of Bangkok. Tiendesitas is a part of Frontera Verde, an interim 18.5 hectare Ortigas Center development project. The complex offers more than 300 parking slots, and is served by jeepneys on C-5 and by buses which stop a short walk from the Tiendesitas gate.
- Tiendesitas offerings include native food, fashion wear and accessories, furniture, antiques, handicrafts, personal care and novelty items, pets, plants, and other Philippine–made products.
Where to Stay
Here is the list of accommodations located within the city.
- Holiday Inn Manila Galleria - One Asia Development Bank Ave, Pasig
- Astoria Plaza - 15 J Escriva Drive, Ortigas Business District, Pasig City
- Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria - Ortigas Avenue Corner Asian Dev. Bank Avenue, 1100 Quezon City
- Goldland Millenia Suites Manila - 8001 Jose Escriva Drive Pasig City Ortigas Center, Pasig City
- Linden Suites Hotel Manila - 37 San Miguel Avenue Ortigas Center Pasig City
- The Malayan Plaza Hotel Manila - ADB Avenue cnr Opal Road Ortigas Center Pasig City
- Victoria Court - Hillcrest Dr, Pasig City
- Orchids Drive Inn Hotel And Restaurant - 201 Hillcrest Drive, Pasig
- Camp John Hay Manor Hotel - Exchange Road Ortigas Center, Pasig
- The Glass Garden - Evangelista Ave, Pasig City
Pasig City is approximately 12 kilometers east of Manila, on the southern tip of Pasig River. It is bordered by Quezon City and Marikina City on the North, Mandaluyong City on the West, the province of Rizal on the east and Makati City, Taguig City and the municipality of Pateros on the south.
For a reluctant tourist, the optimal way of going about the city may be hopping into a cab and allowing it to take you on a perfunctory tour. On the other hand, going by any of the public transports available affords you a full experience of Pasig City, teeming with culture and heritage.
On EDSA, you can either take the bus – both northbound and southbound buses stop in front of Robinson’s Galleria, a perfect place to start – or the Metro Rail Transit. The MRT stops at the Ortigas Station from which Robinson’s Galleria is but a leisurely stroll. From Galleria, navigating the rest of Ortigas Center’s “jewel” streets on foot is best.
The quintessentially Filipino ride known as the “jeepney” goes the Pasig-Quiapo (and vice versa) route, which has existed for decades, and travels from the western side of Shaw Boulevard. The modern and cooler spin-off of the jeepney – the “FX” - is available at a terminal on the north side of Robinson’s Galleria.