Tomas Pinpin Monument was erected in loving memory of the first Filipino printer, Tomas Pinpin. He was a co-author and had printed the earliest books in the country with Fr. Blancas de San Jose in 1610, inside Abucay Church, Bataan.
Who is Tomas Pinpin?
"Let us therefore study, my country men, for although the art of learning is somewhat difficult, yet if we are persevering, we shall soon improve our knowledge. Other Tagalogs like us did not take a year to learn the Spanish language when using my book. This good result has given me satisfaction and encouraged me to print my work, so that all may derive some profit from it." - Tomas Pinpin
Tomas Pinpin was a printer, writer and publisher from Abucay, Bataan, who was the first Filipino printer and is sometimes referred as the "Patriarch of Filipino Printing." He is also remembered for being the first native Filipino to publish and print a book, "Librong Pagaaralan nang manga Tagalog nang Uicang Castilla" in 1610, entirely written by himself in the old Tagalog orthography.
- "Arte y Reglas de Lengua Tagala", 1610, by Padre Blancas.
- "Librong Pagaaralan nang manga Tagalog nang Uicang Castilla", 1610.
- "Vocabulario de Lengua Tagala", 1612, by Pedro de San Buenaventura.
- "Relacion de Martirio", 1625.
- "Triunfo", by Carreras, 1626.
- "Arte Ilocano", by Lopez, 1627.
- "Vocabulario de Japon", 1630.
- "Confesionario", by Herreras, 1636.
- "Sucesos Felices", Newspaper, 1637.
- "Relacion de la Vida y Martirio del Jesuita P. Mastrillo".
How to Get Here
Bataan is accessible by riding a bus from Manila, like Genesis, Bataan Transit, Sinulog, and Victory Liner. The fare usually ranges from 150-200 pesos depending on your destination.
From NLEX (North Luzon Express Way), you will pass through the San Fernando Exit, Sta. Cruz-Lubao, then Layak Junction, and Abucay Junction. From there, you just have to ride a jeep or tricycle going to the church.
Tricycles and jeepneys are the main transport in getting around Bataan.
These are the hotels near the province where tourists can stay.
- Crown Royale Hotel - Capitol Drive, San Jose, Bataan, Bataan, Philippines
- Vista Venice Resort - Sitio Marucdoc, Brgy. Nagbalayong, Morong, Bataan