He is a Filipino general during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War – General Artemio Ricarte.
General Ricarte National Shrine
The General Ricarte National Shrine was built in Batac, Ilocos Norte, in honor of General Artemio Ricarte, a native of the town, who was known for being a revolutionary hero and an important personality in World War II. The shrine is made of a memorial park with a statue and two field guns. It has a library and museum showcasing Ricarte's life through a number of his photographs and relics, and a collection of American and Japanese guns used in World War II.
The Great Artemio Ricarte y Garcia
General Artemio Ricarte is remembered in Batac every July of each year. He was a Filipino general during the Philippine Revolution and the Philippine-American War. He is considered by the Armed Forces of the Philippines as the “Father of the Philippine Army”. Ricarte is also notable for never having taken an oath of allegiance to the United States government, which occupied the Philippines from 1898 to 1946.
In 1972, a monument was erected at Yamashita Park in Yokohama, Japan, in memory of the General Artemio Ricarte. For his battles and deeds accomplished in Cavite, a marker was also placed at Poblacion, General Trias, Cavite.
In Batac, Ilocos Norte is now the Ricarte National Shrine which houses the birth house of Artemio Ricarte including a library and museum displaying Ricarte’s memorabilia.
Travel to General Ricarte National Shrine:
From Manila you can have transportation by land or by plane.
• By Bus: Take a bus bound for Laoag. Travel time is 10-12 hours, so I would recommend a night trip for this. Several bus companies such as Partas, GV Florida Transport, Dominion Bus Lines, Philippine Rabbit, and Fariñas Transit have regular trips that will take you directly to Laoag City. Check out their websites for the trip schedules.
• By Plane: Take a direct flight from Manila to Laoag via Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines. Travel time is about an hour. Flights are usually at night, so better make the necessary adjustments on your itinerary.
From Laoag to Batac:
from Laoag City, you can hire a jeepney that will take you from Laoag to the nearby towns of Paoay and Batac. Batac is about 15km away from Laoag.
Accommodations in Laoag are also available. There are lots of inns and hotels throughout the town offering comfortable rooms and cottages at a reasonable price.
• Fort Ilocandia Resort Hotel - Brgy. 37 Calayab, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Pamulinawen Hotel - National Highway, Brgy. 22, 2901 San Nicholas, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Plaza Del Norte Hotel and Convention Center- 15 Suba, Paoay, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Grand Octagon Resort - Airport Ave., Brgy.50, Butong, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines
• Java Hotel - 55B Salet Gen. Segundo Avenue, Laoag City, Laoag (Ilocos Norte), Ilocos Region, Philippines